Friday, November 1, 2013

Personal Experiences

I have had two personal experiences that have influenced my choice in topic very greatly. My own grandma has been experiencing memory loss over the past few years and I've watched her withdraw into herself. Talking to her is very different from what it use to be because she will either ask the same questions, change her stories or exaggerate situations. She use to be extremely active by attending swimming classes and walking each week. She was more involved in church as well and would teach a class each Sunday morning. Now, she doesn't have the desire to teach it anymore, so she just stopped doing it. Her and my grandpa stopped interacting with friends as well and now the only interactions they have are with immediate family or with each other. It's almost sad to see how much she has change and it's not exactly for the best.

Another time was when I was volunteering for National Honor Society at a senior caring center and we put on a Valentine Day's party for them. We all made them cards, ate with them and danced too. I loved seeing their faces light up with joy, when we began conversing with them because they were extremely happy to have someone listen to them. It was always fun to find a common interest because they were all very acknowledge in whatever area, so they would teach me stuff that I didn't even know. Seeing them dance was priceless because they all had so much fun and you could tell it made their day. I felt extremely good after that experience and actually found myself smiling for the rest of the day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment